Balena is a highly distributed company that has embraced a remote-first approach since 2013. We are a group of individuals from across the globe working together to achieve our mission: “reduce friction for fleet owners and unlock the power of physical computing”. For us, this means removing the barriers to entry for developing IoT products, whether that’s easing software deployments using balenaCloud, simplifying image flashing with balenaEtcher, or offering our own hardware based on our experience seeing thousands of devices running in production environments. We're building a complete, end-to-end solution that makes it easy for any developer to build applications at the edge.
- We place trust and autonomy in our team to own the outcome of their work.
- We practice radical candor and transparency with open, honest, and clear communications that assume positive intent.
- We embrace first-principles thinking and constantly challenge our assumptions.
- We organize ourselves based on the best use of our collective abilities to solve our highest priority problems at any given time, rather than by a strict hierarchy or departments.
- We’re not afraid to fail as long as we learn from our mistakes.
- We are always looking for common patterns that allow us to reduce complexity in our architecture and processes.
- We embrace short term pain for long term gain, designing, and building software that will stand the test of time.