Olo, the leading provider of white-label software to the restaurant industry, is looking for a Senior Director, Data Science and Business Intelligence. This role will manage the data and business intelligence initiatives across the company.
The Senior Director of Data Science is responsible for driving data vision, strategy, and execution and will build the data platform and infrastructure capable of harnessing 15+ years of rich, historical data. The ideal candidate will collaborate with business owners across the company and propose appropriate solutions to address critical business questions and use data to help provide better insight, solutions, and product for our customers. This role will build the data competency in the company and enable data democratization across Olo; this means maintaining all major data contracts, reporting out performance, building analytical tools, conducting ad hoc major investigations, and enhancing and contributing to our product roadmap.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Set the strategic vision and direction for the data platform. You will work with internal teams to better understand the availability of data, develop insights and work towards bringing value to Olo’s customers through the data and insights.
- Support and promote a data-first decision-making culture across the organization.
- Provide input into requirements definition, and work closely with developers and product managers to define, develop and deliver new features and functionality.
- Architect the data environment and structure that supports scalability of data management and analysis. Own the complete data pipeline, from data warehouse import through end-user BI tools. Define data ingestion process and tools including data normalization, quality, etc.
- Build, maintain and constantly improve on our business intelligence platform, ensuring it supports the changing needs of the organization.
- Build a roadmap for data science.
- Guide recruiting efforts, developing existing data talent, and fostering a data-oriented culture.
- Continue the implementation of customer and employee self-service on our BI platform.
- In collaboration with the security and legal teams, formulate policies with regards to data at Olo.
- Use complex data sources to blend and join data to deliver high-value dashboards for customers.
- Leverage advanced visualization techniques to extract analytic insights to help customers make informed decisions.
- Establish processes to ensure data quality and accuracy.
- Enable business decisions by providing quantitative and qualitative data analysis and reporting of patterns, insights, and trends to internal and external stakeholders.
- Build and maintain reports, dashboards, and metrics and monitor the integrity and validity of the reported data. Respond to ad-hoc report requests across multiple divisions.
- Identify opportunities for data-driven applications that could measurably improve the customer experience and the business's efficiency through automation and machine learning.
- Define the company's strategy for data distribution.
- Participate in defining cross-functional data governance.
What We’ll Expect From You
- 8+ years of work experience in a Data Science domain.
- 3+ years experience in people management and team leadership.
- Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, or another related field. Advanced degree (PhD, MS) preferred.
- Track record of setting vision and direction, developing complex data systems, keen technical aptitude, excellent project management skills, solid communication skills, and results-oriented.
- Deep knowledge of data and how to apply that data; business acumen to understand what needs to happen in order to support business objectives; technology skills to select the right tools and techniques; the ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and convincingly with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience in B2B SaaS and/or Ecommerce.
- Experience building data science practices and evangelizing/advocating for data science value across the business and to diverse audiences.
- Expertise in data science, modeling, machine learning, and analytics.
- Familiarity with relational modeling, database applications and integrations, ETL, and modern query languages preferred.
- SQL, Python, AWS, and Looker experience.
- Outstanding business acumen with an understanding of business drivers and of how to drive value to the customer.
- Knowledge and practical application of advanced statistical analysis and mathematical modeling concepts and principles preferred.
- Passionate about data and how it can tell an intricate story.
- Curious and proactive, with an ongoing sense of urgency.
- Excited about using data to enable strategic business outcomes.